Are you looking for a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate?

At Certified Energy we take pride helping our clients and their projects in reaching their full potential, ensuring maximum savings and minimum energy use, allowing for cost effective yet sustainable solutions. For more information about a BEEC please read the detailed description below, or call us at 1300 443 674, our dedicated staff will be happy to help in any way possible.

What is a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate?

A Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) measures the power density of lighting system installations of buildings.

BEECs are valid for a period of 12 months and include:

  • NABERS Energy star ratings
  • A CBD Tenancy Lighting Assessment.

Once approved, BEECs are made publically accessible through the Building Energy Efficiency Register. Building owners can also use BEEC in promoting the energy efficiency of their building to prospective buyers and tenants.

When is a BEEC certificate required?

A BEEC is required for the sale, lease and sublease of all commercial buildings over 1,000 square metres. The NABERS Energy star rating from the BEEC is also required in any advertising used for the sale, lease and sublease of a building.

Expiration period of a BEEC:
A BEEC remains valid until the expiration of either the NABERS Energy rating or the TLA, depending on which expires first. For example, if the NABERS Energy rating is valid until 28 September 2014 while the TLA is valid until 8 March 2015, the BEEC would expire on 28 September 2014.

What are the requirements of a BEEC?

NABERS Energy star ratings:
These ratings are compared to benchmarks which are developed via actual building performance data. NABERS Energy star ratings through BEEC include a star rating as well as an additional rating based on the building’s annual levels of energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.The NABERS rating for offices are a base building rating which includes areas that are managed by the building owner such as the building’s central services.If a base building rating cannot be determined because the utility measure cannot differentiate between base building energy and tenancy energy use, an overall building rating may be used instead.

Tenancy Lighting Assessment (TLA):
A TLA is used to measure the Nominal Lighting Power Density of a building’s lighting system once a tenant leaves.

How is a BEEC assessed?

  • Check if the building has an existing BEEC by searching the building’s name and/or location on the Building Energy Efficiency Register.
  • Contact a CBD accredited assessor to discuss a fee.
  • Gather relevant information such as lease documents and electricity bills that occurred within the last 12 months.
  • Wait for the CBD assessor to perform the NABERS Energy rating assessment and the Tenancy Lighting Assessment.
  • The CBD assessor will submit the BEEC application. The details of the application include the name of the assessor, the accreditation number, the building owner’s details, as well as valid NABERS and TLA certification.
  • Once the BEEC application is approved by the Australian Government Department of the Environment and Energy, a copy of the BEEC will be sent to the CBD assessor, as well as the certificate being added to the Building Energy Efficiency Register.

How much does a BEEC certificate cost?

    The cost of obtaining a BEEC is related to the assessment itself. The fee is discussed between the building owner/lessor and the CBD accredited assessor. The cost varies by the property’s size and complexity, and can range from $2,000 to $13,000.


What is BEEC?
How are BEEC ratings calculated?
How is BEEC assessed and how much does it cost?